Sunday, August 27, 2006

Kelly James Heyer

My younger brother, Kelly James Heyer, died this morning on Delta flight 5191 as it was taking off from Lexington, KY. Kelly was 27.

I don’t know why I’m writing this blog. Maybe subconsciously I think it will be therapeutic. But since I consider you my family I thought I should tell you.

My brother was a lot like me. We both played trumpet in school. He was much better than me, though. I remember when I was a senior asking my Jr. High band instructor if he was better than me. My teacher replied, without hesitation, “Oh, God yes!”

We played trumpet together at church a lot at Christmas and Easter. That will always be one of my favorite memories with Kelly.

He was also involved in theatre, along with me. Again it was special to share the stage with him.

Kelly was a traveler. When he was in college he studied in France for a semester. For the first couple of weeks he was homesick but once he adjusted he really found a passion for traveling. He graduated with a degree in French and always wanted to go back. And occasionally he did once he started flying with Delta/ComAir. He saw much of Europe…sometimes on a quick weekend getaway.

I didn’t see him much once he started working full-time. He was always flying someplace. But he really loved his job. I was surprised to learn that he mostly flew on the small jets, like flight 5191. I asked him if it was tough being the only flight attendant on these flights. But he loved being able to work one-on-one with the passengers, making sure they were comfortable. He even got my mother to enjoy flying!

He was a wonderful brother and a terrific uncle to his nieces and nephews. Any time a jet would fly over our house my kids would ask if Uncle Kelly was up there.

The last time I saw Kelly was at this year’s WE Fest. He came with a friend and was our guest. I can tell you that the Froggy staff loved him as well. He always had a way of being the life of the party wherever he went.

I’m going to Lexington with my older brother and our parents. I’m not sure what’s going to happen when we get there or how long I’ll be gone. But I’ll keep Pete Moss posted on what’s happening and he’ll be able to share this information with you.

What I’m saying isn’t meant to entertain you. And I’m not asking for your sympathy. I just want you to know what’s happening in my life. I’ve shared my wedding with you. You’ve been there at the births of my three kids. It just feels right that I share this with you now.

Gilmore

9 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Mel said...

You and your family are certainly in my thoughts and prayers. I'm a flight attendant for ASA and I have always felt that Comair was part of our family as well. This tragedy has affected us all. Please accept my condolences. I wish I had known your brother.

 
At 8:56 AM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Debbie from Lexington said...

I did not know Kelly, but God does and He has welcomed him with open arms. I pray that you, your family and friends will soon have the peace that only God can provide. God bless all who knew and loved Kelly.

 
At 9:26 AM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Eilir said...

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Please know that you and the other family members are in our hearts and thoughts. I know the news has died down nationally but here in Lexington we are still mourning. I read about your blog in the paper this morning and had to come and send you my condolences. I wish your stay in the Bluegrass could have been under happier circumstances, but if you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask--we want to be here for you.

 
At 5:13 PM, August 31, 2006, Blogger TonyNTheSky said...

You and your family are also in my thoughts and prayers. I did Kelly's onboard training on the 70 Seat aircraft and was so impressed with him and how he responded in such a pleasant manner. He had a true grasp of his job and what his job functions were. We remained friends afterwards and would talk occassionally to catch up. I had such a wonderful time with him back in February having dinner, etc. I will truly miss him and am sorry that I cannot be at the services tommorrow.

 
At 10:21 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger laura gardin said...

my brother Cameron was a good friend of Kellys. I was privelaged to get to meet him.
Kelly was always there to talk if needed and helped my brother numerous times when he found himself without a job.
I was blessed to meet such a great person, and even though he might be gone he will never be forgotten.
And the one thing I will never forget is his smile and such a true quality when it came to friendship.
my families thoughts and prayers are with your family
god bless

 
At 9:59 AM, September 10, 2006, Blogger Sid said...

I just discovered this today. I met Kelly a year or so ago when a group of us were sitting having lunch in one of those hundreds of small airports that dot the east. I'm a flight attendant for SkyWest, and as mel said, Comair is part of the family. I, too played brass and was in theater in high school, and Kelly and I visited about that and laughed about our past ventures. I will always remember him. Only God knows why such a tragedy is allowed to happen. I trust Him. No matter how painful it may get in the future as you miss your dear brother, all is right with him. He is in the arms of a loving and caring Father.
May God bless you, and your family, as well as the families of all those on the plane.

 
At 6:55 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger FlyGirlForever said...

I did Kelly's first 2 legs of his 50 seater on board training and he was made to be a flight attendant. He knew his job and he was a wonderful person. He was a joy to be around. Tonynthesky and I have had long talks about him. He was an amazing person and he is truly missed. The people at Comair are in such a state of shock and I am sure you and your family are still so numb. Please know we loved him dearly and you and your family are always in our prayers. We will see him again in the bright blue skies that he loved so much. I hope your flight west was beautiful because I know of no one that deserved it more than you Kelly.

 
At 1:44 PM, September 14, 2006, Blogger Flygirl said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

 
At 12:59 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger JoshuaJ said...

It's sad to see such a wonderful person go. I was in a lot of plays and musicals with Kelly back in High School. He was always upbeat and friendly. A really great person. My prayers go out to him and his family.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home