Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Yeah It's Easter!

This is my FAVORITE holiday hands down, always has been, even when it's early and winter is still hanging on! But am I the only one who thinks this is another holiday observation that has gotten TOTALLY COMMERCIAL?? Since when did you have to start buying gifts for kids for EASTER?! The push is on to buy dvd's, 9 foot stuffed bunnys, Barbies, bicycles etc...

When I was a kid, my mom usually sewed me a new dress to wear to church, of course we colored hard boiled eggs and used them as a centerpiece on our table (and continued to eat them 2 weeks later un-refridgerated, but that's another story..) and we always were excited to get up in the morning and hunt for the basket of candy (with jelly beans and ONE chocolate bunny). We went to sunrise service, had breakfast there, then Grandpa and Grandma came over and we had ham, lemon pie and later, a "bunny" cake my mom baked from scratch, with coconut for fur. It was a great ritual and one I looked forward to every year.

Now that I'm older and my mom has passed on and there are no new dresses or bunny cakes, I still like the entire ritual of Holy week, the meditation, and the joy on Sunday morning. I like getting together with family and NOT feeling the pressure of having to "buy" things because it's a "holiday", or at least I try to resist! I guess there is no real harm in it, but I like the way it used to be. Simple, and more about WHY we have the rituals, and thinking about how Easter is a greater gift than anyone could ever buy.

So, may you have a blessed Easter!

Lilly Pad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home